Saturday, August 14, 2010

Changes are coming!

It's been a long time since I posted a blog--since last September!! I started this blog as I have a friend who blogs regularly and it fit with my quest to become a 21st century librarian! Although I found it enjoyable, it takes quite a bit of time for me to sift through edtech articles and links to find/try out/evaluate online tools that I think have educational application. So when school began, the blog became history.

So, why start posting now when the 2010-2011 school session is just days away? Well, in addition to being assigned to oversee THREE elementary media centers, I recently found out that I have also been assigned to teach the 5th grade GATES (gifted & talented) classes!

Talk about change! Our district is relocating teachers and students as our PK, K, and 1st grade teachers move into our brand-new, huge early childhood center this August. With 1st grade moving out, 5th grade is moving back into the elementary schools. It has been my past practice to focus library lessons for grades involved with NCLB (or as a friend calls it "NCLU" or "No Child Left Untested!") and since 5th grade fits that category, I'm trying to determine not only WHAT but WHEN I will fit another grade level into my teaching schedule as I rotate around town.

When I found out about the GATES assignment, I need to admit that I have considered the possibility of moving into teaching elementary GATES . Currently, it is a half-time position which I thought might be a great option after retirement!?!?! Fortunately I was informed of the assignment first and had the opportunity to choose my grade level. Since I have been on my Web2.0 quest, I have come across so many exciting online sites that I think could be a fantastic learning tool for students and teachers. Therefore, I thought 5th grade might be the more appropriate level for me to have an opportunity to test these applications. So even though I'm feeling a little over my head with everything, I'm secretly a little bit excited for this challenging opportunity!!

Change offers opportunity and change can be positive. So, here's to change--it's here!

Resolve to be a master of change rather than a victim of change.
- Brian Tracy

If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it.
- Mary Engelbreit





No comments:

Post a Comment